Pipe Organs available for Relocation

Please use the following to search for:



Available organs by numbers of manuals:

 




Available organs by IBO reference:

 




Available organs by location:

 



Complete listing of available organs


Detail on IBO Reference: 557




This organ is located in the diocese or region of Newington Green Unitarian Church, London. The original builder was Banfield of Birmingham and the last known carer was Henry Potter. The Organ was in regular use and serviced/tuned annually by Wintle Organs up to September 2016 and is in good working order. .The organ was first listed by the IBO on 2017-11-23.

Location : London

Offered As : Complete instrument only

Action(s) : Tracker

Approximate Dimensions : H: 154 Inches, W: 100 in, D: 71 in (incl pedals)


Specification

Manual IV : n/a
Manual III : n/a
Manual II : 8, 8, 8, 4
Manual I : 8, 8, 8, 8, 4, 2
Pedals : 16
Couplers : Swell to Pedal Swell to Great Great to Pedal


Detail : The present organ was presented to the church on 12 June 1902 by Ion Pritchard as a memorial of the long association therewith of himself and his family. A concert was held on June 25 1902 to celebrate its inauguration.The organ was placed against the back wall of the apse, and the pulpit removed from this position, leaving only a section of the original carved panelling fixed to the wall. A plaque on the organ console records that in 1935 an electric blower was provided from the generous bequest” of Edith J.Titford (1846-1933) In 1975 N.P.Mander Church Organ Builders was commissioned to carry out a survey of the organ. Noel Mander reported after his initial inspection that a label stated that the organ was built by Henry Potter in 1902. Mander had no knowledge of Potter and suggested that he may have been a journeyman organ builder working for another Firm, who built the instrument in his spare time. He could possibly have worked for Bishop and Son, because some of the material is obviously of that Firm's design. Mander added that The organ appears to be quite soundly built, but it is not of any great intrinsic value or interest. Mander made proposals for the repair and re-servicing of the organ and its re-siting in the Gallery where it would not only sound better, but where it would no longer interfere with the architecture of the building. The work was duly instructed, and during the course of the organ's removal and re-assembly Mander was able to find out more about its origins: You may be interested to learn that we have opened the reservoir (or bellows) and from a note inside we learn that the organ was built by Banfield of Birmingham in 1862, for Lord Calthorpe of Elvertham (Elvetham) Hall. This writing has not seen the light of day for 112 years. The Organ was in regular use and serviced/tuned annually by Wintle Organs up to September 2016 and is in good working order. The Organ can remain in situ until December 2018 when the church will be closed for renovation and the Organ removed as part of the reordering of the Church



Your Name

Your email



Please enter the numbers and letters into the box before clicking the 'Send Enquiry' button

security code         (refresh)